Grandpa dies days after his wife was crushed to death by 2,600lb Denny’s sign

The husband of a grandmother, who was killed when a Denny’s restaurant sign fell onto their car and crushed it, has also died just days later.

Lillian Curtis, 72, died on January 19 after the 2,600lb sign landed on the car she and her husband had been in, along with their daughter, at a Denny’s in Kentucky, after picking Lloyd up following heart surgery.

While investigations into the freak accident are ongoing, it is believed that strong winds in the area contributed to the tragedy.

Lillian – who had been in the back seat of the vehicle – had been declared dead after being transported to hospital, while Lloyd and their daughter, Mary Graham, 58, received further treatment, before Lloyd tragically also died on January 23.

The trio had been traveling back home after collecting Lloyd from hospice care on Thursday three days after he had undergone heart surgery at the University of Louisville Hospital, the family told KVUE.

Mary, who had been driving the car when the sign collapsed, is still recovering in hospital from injuries including a concussion and five broken ribs, KVUE reports.

Lloyd had been told he had three months to live prior to the tragic accident, and the couple’s granddaughter, Amy Nichols, told WLKY that he had wanted to be reunited with his wife.

She revealed: “He told the hospice nurse last night when she asked him what he wanted, and he said: ‘My wife back,’ and now he is dancing with Nanny.”

An autopsy will be held to establish whether his death was a direct result of the incident as the family seeks to find answers about the circumstances of the incident.

Denny’s said in a statement after the tragedy: “Safety is our top priority, and we are working with the authorities to better understand what led to this situation. Our thoughts are with all of those involved.”

Elizabethtown Police spokesman Chris Denham added: “I’ve never seen anything like this. It’s certainly very windy out here and I’m certain that did have a factor and was involved in this.”

Paying tribute after Lillian’s death, her granddaughter Amy wrote on social media: “This woman right here my beautiful nanny Lillian Mae Curtis was the matriarch of our family she was the strongest woman I have ever seen in my life. I don’t know how myself or my family can even begin to live in a cold world without her in it.

“She was my biggest supporter in life and always had me when nobody else did. I am so lost right now I can’t even function. She was my Nanny she was my second momma she was everything to me.

“I would give my life to have her back. I love you so much nanny. I just want to hug you again and smell your cologne and tell you I love you. How do I say goodbye to you I wish it would of been me in that backseat not you. I just want you back.” [sic]

She later took to Facebook to share a tribute to her grandfather after his passing, adding: “I have no words to describe how I feel at this moment.

“Grandpa went to be with Granny at 130 this morning. I am in disbelief that this has happened to our family. RIP Papaw you and Nanny are finally together.”

The family is planning to hold a double burial for Lloyd and Lillian, who were married for over 50 years and are survived by three children, eight grandchildren, eight great-grandchildren, and three great-great-grandchildren.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *